From:
Aviva Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:42:48 -0600

Hello everyone,

I've never had an easy time with Passover. Now with this being my first
gluten-free Passover, I really haven't a clue.  At least now I know why
the holiday was always so difficult for me and what it was that was
getting me so ill (my gall stones were found when I was 20 in the
emergency room the morning after the first seder spent at the rabbi's
home eating 3 sheets of shmurah matzo - oy vey!).

So now, nearly 10 years later, I'm at square one here and hoping to get
some ideas.  I'm this/close to throwing in the towel and saying, "Ok,
this is Pikuet Nefesh, I can't do this" (Pikuet Nefesh - medical reason
not to follow something).  I've always loved the holiday, but as a
vegetarian, there isn't much other than fruits and vegetables.  I'm an
Askenazi Jew (European descent), so rice and beans aren't a possible
alternative (soy either, nor corn, which I'm noticing is bothering me).

Since my initial posting a few months ago, I've built up to quite a
number of foods, but none other than the fresh fruits/vegetables that
would be ok for the holiday.  I will eat fish (how I'm fiending for
gefilte fish, typically made with matza meal), but I normally eat the
rice/potato pastas as well and some bread (I've fallen in love with many
of the products in Kinnikinnick's Alta line - not strictly Kosher as I
was before the Celiac, but Kosher ingredient-wise at least).  I will eat
dairy if I have a Lactaid pill, however, I haven't a clue what cheeses
(other than Kraft cheddar) are ok for throughout the year, let alone for
Passover.  (Speaking of holidays - there are shaloch manot gifts here
from neighbors for Purim and I'm trying not to drool over the
hamentaschen - I'd really love a gluten-free recipe for them if anyone
has one.)

Short of me not keeping this holiday, I'm hoping to get suggestions from
those who do observe with ways of how I can continue to observe the
holday also.

Thanks,
Aviva
(Chicago)