From:
Bruce L Rand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:00:46 -0400

Hi Everyone

First off, I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my posting
regarding rapid weight gain now that I am gf and how to stop it.  I was
surprised at how common a problem this seems to be and how many of us have
gone from trying to stop weight loss to trying to promote it.

Many responders suggested that now that we are able to absorb things again
we are absorbing everything and so need to relearn what we are eating. Many
of us probably eat too large a portion.  A few people are also cutting down
the number of meals in a day.

The  most common answer is that the gf diet is high in fat and carbohydrates
and these are what make us put on the weight.  Most suggested cutting way
back on the carbohydrates - some were only eating natural foods, or really
minimizing the amount of carbos.  One person was not eating anything that
had to be made "gluten-free".   A couple of people suggested the
"Neanderthin" diet which is basically a low carb diet - they have a web page
that is worth checking out - it seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Several people indicated that their weight did eventually stabilize, but
often at a higher level than they wanted to be and advised addressing it
early before you have to worry about losing too much. Some said we just have
to be happy at a higher weight as long as we are healthy - I will feel
happier when I am healthy at a comfortable weight for me.

Although excercise was encouraged by many - most said it will not do it
alone - the decrease in food must go with it.

One person suggested taking L-glutamine to stop the sugar cravings.

One person also reminded me to drink lots of water

Again, thanks to everyone - I am sorry if I did not get back to you
personally, but I was amazed at the number of responses. You guys are great
and I have learned so much from this list.

Hopefully I will be slim and trim by the next time I need to post.

Gail