From:
The Buffington's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:47:18 -0500

My wife is a 30 year celiac but this is a problems that affects all the
family.  I also do most of the computer work.  I posted a note about the
great peanut lobby and now they control the airlines, plus all people who
ride on airlines.  Three rows in front and in back of a person allergic to
peanuts cannot have any peanuts either.  One airline had to quite serving
any peanuts because of open seating.

CD is just a much a disability as peanut allergy and as most all you list
readers know you would not want to be setting next to anyone with CD on a 5
hour flight who got a pasta meal at the beginning of that flight. (At least
if you react like my wife)

A few anti-peanut folks were able to control all this thru the Disabilities
Act.  I had posted something about this earlier and thought there might be a
response from folks who were tired of getting GF "pasta" on the airlines.
But I only got two curious responses.  Airline caters are fry cooks dressed
up in fancy suites.  They don't know and they don't care, but if peanut dust
can free float in the airline cabin there is no reason to not think that a
broken bread stick, a miss-forked piece of pasta, or crumb from a cookie
couldn't free float in the cabin and be sucked up somes nose who is CD and
thus you have a problem.  Happens when my wife makes cookies for straight
people.....she inhales the flour and had done the damage.

It is within the power of those with CD to make some charges here and get
something done.  But it will have to be a CD.  A good fight with the
government would be fun but need a patient, especially a patient who is a
lawyer, and preferably a patient with CD, who is a lawyer, who works in DC.

Good luck in ever getting to eat on an air plane unless someone who have the
problem takes the time to do something.

Jerry B.

The Buffington's