From:
Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:39:42 EST

I had occasion to call OreIda about their Country Style Hash Brown
Potatoes.  I explained to Kathy, the delightful young women who answered
at 1-800-892-2401, that I had  what I thought might be a gluten reaction
to something I ate and that I was rechecking everything I had eaten just
prior to the attack. One of the things contained their hash browns and I
know that the ingredients do NOT show anything that may contain gluten,
but I was wondering if their was any way there could have been an
accidental contamination in processing.  She said that she would not have
enough information to give an accurate response and could she have my
name and phone number and call me back.  That was Monday.

Tuesday I heard nothing - not surprised.

Wednesday I heard nothing - I'm thinking they aren't going to call back.

Thursday I am convincing myself that I might as well write off OreIda
products, when the phone rings and it is Kathy from OreIda apologizing
for taking so long to get an answer to me.  She says that there is no
possibility that any wheat, rye, oats or barley could have gotten into
the hash browns.  Cross contaminations is NOT a possibility.  I had not
said WROB in my initial phone call only "Gluten" so she must have done
enough digging to come up with that.  I was impressed.

Every time that I have a manufacturer go out of their way to provide an
answer, it convinces me that I just became their very loyal customer.  I
am also convinced that it makes a difference how you approach them.  I am
finding that asking them to help me with MY problem works a whole lot
better than trying to make it their problem.

I have no financial interest in OreIda (not even any stock - but I'm
thinking about it.).......

Grampa Jim
Missouri