From:
Theresa Huss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Theresa Huss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 18:44:39 -0700

WOW! This is a hot topic.  Thanks for the 50+ emails in a matter of days!

I separated this into two emails 1 with noodle suggestions and 1 with cooking tips

I included excerpts from as many as possible.

(1)one or two recommended Quinoa is what I use and seems like "real" elbow pasta to me.
  (2) Many, many recommended tinkyada, especially the veggie type.   Others recommend the fusilli over  the elbow. I have tried these without luck (got hard when cold).  One other agreed with me.

  (3)  Many, Many also recommended Asian noodles (I think the bean thread noodles would be similar to Ramen noodles which many people apparently miss for salads)
  … make a great Japanese cucumber salad using bean thread noodles.  Let me know if you want the recipe.  It is in my cooking class.

  I have had success with thai rice noodles either the extremely thin "Stir Fry "ones or the fatter linguini type ones work well.I have also had the same experience though with noodles that work perfectly well when hot but turn hard when cool,Live and learn.I am going to a picnic in june where I will brig a cold noodle salad.Good luck .

…rice, sweet potato and bean noodles. I'm sure

you could use them in your favorite pasta salad recipes.  To prepare them, just pour boiling water over them and let them soak until they are soft.  Of course, you have to have access to Asian stores to buy them, and some celiacs might not be interested in purchasing a product without being able to question the manufacturer.

I buy the Thai bean-thread noodles.  They are made from mung bean and

Potato starch.  You just wet them with hot water and let them absorb the water until they are moist.  I never heat them, just put hot stir fry on top of them.  I really like shrimp stirfried with  peapods, onions, celery and some other things and just dump it out on the bean threads. You could try them.  They are certainly easy to prepare, but they are long and stringy like mei fun noodles, not short like elbows.  They are more like angel hair.

(4) we sell fresh gf pasta. We might be able to ship to you, depending

upon where you are.

RoseAnne

www.naturalfoodworks.com

(5) three recommended Bi-Aglut

…works great and stays soft for a few days. And they don't fall

apart when you stir them the next day. In fact, I made some Macaroni

Salad for a cookout tonight, and everyone loved it

Bio Nature holds up well in cold salads, and holds up being

refrigerated to eat later.

(6)  I've had some luck with Orgran  brand pastas (over all other brands)...check their
    web site...if you absolutely have to, cook it (slightly undercook, rinse in cool water
    to get excess starch off, and toss in olive oil..and refrigerate.  Then, nuke it
    to warm (not hot) gently (at low power) before adding to pasta salad...
    I particularly like their 100% buckwheat pasta

(7)Two recommended Schar
 I use the Schar Fusilli that I buy from www.glutino.com. It holds up really well.  I've tried lots of different kinds and this is the best. Even my non-celiac mother loves it and she's my best/worst critic.

Schar penne noodles work well for me.

(8) Three recommended heartland

 I've had good luck w/Heartlands elbow macaroni for salads, it's a

Bean mixture, holds it's shape nicely.  Really close to the real thing.

www.heartlandsfinest.com

Theresa Huss

*******
*******