Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:00:07 -0400

I am always fighting the "nutrition wars" with my kids (esp. my son who will
not touch a fruit or veggie) so in the summer I make use of my blender to
get them to ingest some vitamins:

I mix together fresh fruits (watermelon, cantelope, bananas, and berries
work esp. well.....peaches and necarines work but kids prefer them
peeled....apples, pears, citrus don't really work)  with fruit juices ( any
flavor you like) and then thicken up with gf yogurt.......blended until
smooth, this makes a delicious shake.  (Of course, ice cream will also
work....sometimes we do a mix of the two....I like to use yogurt since it is
a better source of calcium).

To make it more thirst quenching on a hot day, omit yogurt and add some
fruit sorbet and lots of ice....somes out like a slurpee.

Take either variety and pour it into a mold, add a stick, and
freeze....makes popsicles.  I bought a special mold for this purpose, but my
neighbor does hers in dixie cups.  You can use traditional wooden popsicle
sticks, but I use sturdy straws as sticks...the kids like to suck the
"extra" out of the staw at the end.

To make even more fun for kids, add food coloring to make zany bright colors
(warning:on occasion, this has turned their poop really strange
colors....looked they'd been eating crayolas.)

Here are some examples of combinations that have been popular here:

Bananas, cantelope, OJ, and peach yogurt. (with yellow food color)

Watermelon, stawberries, raspberry sorbet, cranberry juice, and crushed ice.

Bananas, OJ and vanilla yogurt.

Even grown-ups can enjoy them!!  (Hint:  my kids like them better and eat
more of them when they think of them as a treat....."You've been so good
today, I'll let you have two popsicles for your snack")  Enjoy!  Lynn