From:
Anita Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:47:51 EDT

To all and especially our international readers:

I recently learned of a new low calorie sweetener, sucralose, brand name
SPLENDA, that is made from sugar by replacing two oxygen-hydrogen bonds with
chloride.  I is not broken down in the body and is, therefore, no calorie.
There is a web page at splenda.com.  Since I am celiac as well as diabetic,
also coronary artery disease, etc., I am concerned about the possibility of
this substance containing gluten.  Any experience out there with sucralose?
The web page mentioned that it was available in Australia and Mexico, but
not in the US.  There seems to be a shortage for some reason or other.

Any comments welcomed.  Thanks

Anita in KC