Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:30:51 EDT

According to my nutionist, leady gut goes with celiac because it wipes away
the villi.  Besdies being gf for years, there is a "qucik" and definitely
healthy way to heal the gut.....with each meal, take an L-glutamine capsule
and a probiotics capsule.  Glutamine is an amino acid with is a catalyst for
other vitamins, gets oxygen to the brain, metabolizes fats and sugars.
Probiottics is a spcialized form of acidophilus, very strong and mulit
strained which works to heal the gut and resestablish the flora and fauna,
These are very impt esp to reduce the risk of colon cancer.  You need to take
this for the rest of your life, altho you might be able to cut back after a
year or so.  I noticed I was no longer lactose intolerant after six months, so
my gut had healed at that pt.

My md, who is a homeopath recommended that I take the homeopathic remedy
VERATRUM ALB 30 C, 2 pillsunder the tongue as needed to stop gluten attacks.
It works very quickly and I always have it with me.  You can get the formula
and the homeo remedies at a health food store.  Veratrum Alb 30c is only about
five dollars a vial.

******************

Sally, sounds really similar to what I have gone through for years.  I was
told that I have leaky gut syndrome and food allergies.Iwas put on an
elimination diet to find out what I reacted to and really learned a lot.  I
have a strong reaction to wheat, corn and some reaction to dozens of other
foods.  My dietician put me on a powdered glutamate to repair the lining, but
it make me feel sicker.

The only relief was when I eliminated bread/cakes/cookies etc made from flour,
corn and any of it's byproducts (corn syrup, cornstarch etc) and reduced other
foods that I had a reaction to.

My symptoms ranged from stomach problems, bowel problems, severe rash on my
face and hands, allergy to sunlight (lupuslike), inability to digest any kind
of food, headaches, tingling and itching all over, sores in mouth, reflux,
etc.

Besides the strict diet which helps, I found that simple enzymes like papaya
and lactaid help, small amounts of pineapple and papaya juice with meals,
small meals, no large meal after 1 or 2 in the afternoon and veggie snacks
only until bedtime.

I also do 100% of my grocery shopping at a organic food store to eliminate
pesticides and other chemicals.  This has made such and improvement, I will
never go back to commercially packaged foodstuffs again.  Food now actually
digests like it should for the first time in my life.

*****************************

three years ago, I was leaving on a trip and got violently ill with what I now
know to be gluten reactions. They lasted for a week and a half.  If that had
happened to me now, I would have taken that Vetratrum Alb30c after each bowel
movelment or at the first sign of cramping and that would have been it.
Hint===I urge you to get it.

*******************

I, too, was diagnosed with Leaky Gut about 5 years ago.  Just diagnosed with
Celiac last Dec.  I have problems if I drink alcohol - even champagne or light
rum, the "GF alcohols".  Also, several years ago, I read that ibuprofen,
aspirin and liquor or alcohol of any kind could cause leaky gut to react
again.

*************************

In regard to leaky gut, I take L-Glutamine capsules, 500 mg from Twinlab.  I
take one tablet at breakfast and one at lunch, and two at dinner time making
a total of 2000 mg per day.  After about three months of this practice my
leaky gut symptoms disappeared, and I continue to take this amount of
L-Glutamine each day.  My symptoms have not returned.

***********************

You mention food allergies.  You might want to look at the work of Dr. Devi
Nambudripad who developed the NAET program which is a program to detoxify
people from their various food allergies.  If you type in NAET on your
search page on your  internet you will find her web pages and can read about
the program there.  It involves the use of acupressure, acupuncture and
muscle testing.  I am undergoing the program and can now eat eggs and dairy
products without any difficulty at all. Prior to my treatments, after one
bite or swallow of these products I went into almost instant diarrhea .

Among my allergies are allergies to red meat.  The only kind of beef I can
eat is hamburger because the enzymes are already chopped.  Any other kind of
red meat puts me into diarrhea within 30 minutes. So it is quite possible
that you are allergic to red meat, including chopped varieties. The best
thing to do is to eliminate red meat (beef, veal, lamb) from your diet. When
I complete the first ten treatments of Dr. Nambudripad's program, then I
will be treated for individual allergies, including red meat.
Hi.  Well, I'd say everybody who has CD has a leaky gut, there's nothing
mysterious or uncommon about it. There are many causes, including parasites
(which some MDs have estimated to be in 25% of us) and intestinal yeast
(fungus)(which some MDS have estimated to be in 90% of us!).  So, I'd say
many, many people have it.  Many, many people also have food allergies
because of the leaky gut and also don't know it.

So, what have I done? Quit eating foods I'm allergic to, including all
grains, the other foods with lectins that bother me (including amaranth,
quinoa, milk, soy, etc.), and took stuff to get rid of parasites and yeasts.
Thinks are looking up, finally.

**********************

I don't know if this can help you, but yesterday a friend directed me to a
web site that she thought could help my multi-symptomed child.  She has type
I diabetes, hyperthyroid and celiac.  There is some interesting reading
here.  I don't know anything about except what I read there and a
testimonial from my friend on how her family's health improved after
starting this diet.  The web address is www.hacres.com .  Hope this is of
some help to you.

Last May, our family doctor tested me for intestinal permeability, and after
diagnosing Leaky Gut Syndrome, put me on an allergen-free diet and a
supplement from UltraClear.   For one month, I followed the recommended diet
and used UltraClear Sustain, and about halfway through the month, I began
having steatorreah (smelly, floating, pale-colored stools). That went away
after a couple of weeks, and seems to be related to inability to handle
fats.   My doctor had me continue the diet, and switched me after the lst
month to UltraClear Inflammax. My symptoms, (constipation, gas, itchy nose
and puffy eyes) were greatly reduced, but still gave me trouble, and I was
reassured on reading the brochure describing the diet, supplement and course
of treatment, that it usually takes 2 to 3 months to heal the intestines.
So I figured I was one of the 3-month patients, at least.

 During the second month, I started using Rice Dream on my cereal every
morning, because even reading the label, I couldn't remember why I thought I
should stay away from it.  Then a post came from someone on the list,
pointing out that even the plain Rice Dream had an out-of-the-way
disclaimer, separate from the main ingredient list, that says it contains
less than .003 parts barley.  When I stopped using that, my symptoms were
even more reduced, but I still get a day or so a week of unexplained
symptoms.  That may be again because it is taking me longer than some to
heal, or I may be sensitive to some of the food allowed in the diet.  My
understanding is that you can become sensitized to almost anything you eat a
lot of when you have Leaky Gut Syndrome.  I eat a lot of soy, and I have
heard that a soy intolerance can also flatten the villi (I think I read that
somewhere on the list - check the archives).  Anyway, I am to continue
eating as I am, and if I still have trouble, I will cut out the soy.  One
thing that also helps is to duplicate food items no more frequently than
every four days.  I am not as careful about that recently as I was, so
that's something else to try.

It's a tedious process sometimes, but I have been encouraged over the long
haul, and my husband is very supportive and reminds me of how much better I
have been since going gf 9 months ago, and allergen-free 21/2 months ago.
He also co-operates with the diet, eating mostly the same as I do, with the
exception of sandwiches.  I don't keep forbidden foods around, especially
sweets.   I am one of the 20% whose symptoms are not the classic profile for
celiacs.  I have lost weight since going on the diet - but then, most of my
favorite desserts have wheat in them, and now I am staying away from sugar -
even natural sweeteners like honey.  I am feeling more like exercising
again, and I am more alert and clear-thinking than before.  When I am
tempted to eat something not allowed on my diet, I usually remember that not
only am I taking the chance of feeling miserable for days, but I also will
not be able to tell my doctor that I stuck with the diet, and in order to
find out the foods causing the symptoms, I want to be able to do that.  I
know he really wants to help me. And there are lots of plans that I have
that I can't risk feeling ill.   Hope this isn't too long and boring for
you.  It does get easier and you WILL feel better.  There is some helpful
information in the archives about Leaky Gut and its treatment, too.  Wishing
you better health every day!

Sally Hackett,  Raleigh NC