From:
Marian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:54:40 -0700

Hi,

Sorry it's taken me a few day to do this summary.  I've been sick all week
and still on clear liquids.  My question was if Bisacodyl (which is generic
Dulcolax) is gluten free.

6 people said that Dulcolax is gf, with one of those going on to say that
she didn't know if the generic was also gf.

5 people asked for a summary.

1 person said she had a bad reaction to the Magnesium Citrate.

2 people pointed me to www.glutenfreedrugs.com

Here's my own story:  I did take the Bisacodyl after several lengthy
conversations with the Rite Aid pharmacist.  I had no problems.  I started a
relatively clear diet 3 days in advance: homemade organic chicken broth with
a small amount of chicken and carrots for 1 meal, homemade gelatin (gelatin
made with white grape juice), coconut water, banana.  On day 2, I dropped
the carrots and chicken and continued with the clear liquids and a banana.
On the day before the procedure, I did the clear liquids only and the prep
in the evening.  I mixed the Miralax with yellow Gatorade and didn't have a
problem finishing it on schedule.  I was told to split it, one half the
night before and the second half on the morning of the procedure.    The
Magnesium Citrate (the fizzy stuff in the small bottle) went down OK, too.
I think it helped that there was very little  food in my system and I was a
little hungry after 3 days of not eating much.  The procedure went fine. It
was scheduled for 10:30am which I much prefer to previous ones at 7 or 8 am.
I was able to get about 3 hours of sleep before I had to get up to finish
the prep at 4:45am.   I had propofol, so I don't remember anything.  And,
now I'm waiting for biopsy results.

I'm forwarding some emails that I thought would be helpful.  Best of luck to
those of you who have procedures coming up.

Marian

"We mixed fruit juice (orange one dose and apple the other dose) in the
doses of miralax to minimize the potassium loss.

I had to do dulcolax for my screening scope, and I am celiac and did not
feel my usual gluten symptoms if that means anything.

The miralax gave us very little distress even though our daughter had active
ulcerative colitis.

I have read several articlse saying phosphate laxitives can be dangerous for
your electrolytes.

A couple people on the list warned me about it.

My daughter's colonoscopy they used air to inflate the colon and she had
alot of pain expelling it.

When I had a colonoscopy my gastro used carbon dioxide andtold me that was
why I did not have the gas problem, because the body eliminates it through
the lungs.

I had propofol and felt great after.  She had something else and took a long
time coming out of it.

Don't plan on going anywhere once you start the prep; you will be in the
bathroom alot.  You might consider having ointment or tux or hemorroid wipes
because you rear may get sore."

"I took Miralax and Dulcolax and did not have any problems and I had a
colonoscopy and endoscope at same time."

"I just had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago.  I took Dulocax without any
problem (in case you want to get that instead).  I drank green Gatorade with
my Miralax.  If it's too sweet for you, you could try Ginger Ale.  FYI, you
don't have to drink the prep solution (Miralax) every 15 minutes until it's
finished like I did as originally directed by my doctor.   I ended up
throwing up about 16 ounces of the last part because my stomach was too full
from drinking it every 15 minutes.  I called the 24-Hr. answering service
and spoke with the doctor on-call to tell him I threw up and he told me I
could have drunk it every 20-30 minutes and would have been ok (just thought
I would mention that).  Other that than part, all was ok and my doctor was
able to proceed with the procedure (even though I threw up some of the
prep).

I drank gluten-free chicken broth and ate frozen lemon Italian ice during
the day and water.  I was worried I wouldn't be able to go without
eating...but I was FINE!

I brought my own crackers with me for recovery (but the hospital had
gluten-free ones), and I was able to eat regular food when I got home.  I
slept for about 3 hours when I got home and then ate chicken and mashed
potatoes."

"I have had numerous colonoscopies and have learned to eat a clear liquid
diet at least 2-3 days ahead of time so there isn't much to clean out. That
has made the prep more manageable for me."

"I mixed it (prep liquid) with plain Smart Water which has electrolytes and
that made all the difference."