From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 17:37:04 PDT

>I was under the impression that because gluten is insoluble in water, it is
>pretty difficult to digest for a significant number of persons. And our
>digestive systems have not evolved as quickly as cereal domestication.
>We started out as hunter/gatherers. Dr. Lutz' article provided by Don Wiss
>suggests this explanation.

I have not read the article referred to (Dr. Lutz), but as a scientist
specializing in gluten proteins, I am fairly aware of nutritional research
related to the gluten proteins.  I am not aware myself of any scientific
evidence that gluten proteins are difficult to digest--there is some
evidence in the direction that they are easy to digest.  Also, most gliadin
proteins (at present considered the most active fraction of gluten) are only
slightly soluble in water, but are fairly soluble in acidic solutions.
There is a high concentration of hydrochloric acid in the stomach where
initial breakdown of proteins by the protease enzyme pepsin (which has low
specificity, breaking down many different amino acid linkages) begins. The
ability to be digested by various proteases probably outweighs solubility
considerations for gluten proteins.  Proteins that start out insoluble
rapidly become soluble as enzymes fragment them into smaller pieces.  The
gluten proteins appear to be adequately attacked by the array of proteases
available in our gastrointestinal tracts. I think it is not likely that the
basis of celiac disease lies in the digestibility of the gluten proteins,
although I know of one scientist who disagrees with me on this. I think,
however, that most scientists would agree with me.

Man no doubt started out as a hunter and gatherer, but that doesn't
necessarily mean that he lived off easily digested materials only.  I would
guess that a wide range of plant foods were gathered and consumed, varying
according to type in the degree of ease with which they could be digested.
It is certainly possible, even likely, that wild wheats were gathered for a
long time before they began to be cultivated (about 10,000 years ago,
although I doubt that any special evolution of the digestive tract was
necessary to adapt to the eating of grains, at least once they were cooked.
If I recall correctly the pertinent publications on the subject, it is
thought by anthropologists that adherent glumes (characteristic of wild
wheats and spelt) had to be removed from the grains by charring, then the
wheat grain was stone ground in a mortar for preparation of something like a
gruel or porridge by cooking in water.

Don Kasarda, Albany, California