From:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:58:23 -0500

Here is the summary of the responses to my question about my daughter's
skin rash.  It does now seem that it was an allergic reaction and
everything has cleared-up just fine.  Thank you so much to all who
responded.  Everyone gets sick and it is so hard to know when things are
routine or CD related.

Go to dermatologist.  They can do a skin biopsy for DH.

DH typically shows in the from of blisters.

Usually the DH is on the back of the legs, mainly behind the knees, buttocks,
elbows etc and not on the checks.

DH typically shows up in places that have pressure on them such as elbows,
buttocks, knees, etc. I don't mean to say it never shows up anywhere else

I have had DH for many years.  The skin areas affected are the buttocks,
knees, underside of the forearms, top of the head and the eye lids.

Similar situation turned out to be contact dermatitis from shampoo and
likely a  reaction to cassein (milk protein). ated ALL milk products.  The
rash and itching went away.

Sounds like a potential reaction to tomatoes or citrus fruits.  Could also
be laundry soap or an allergy to dustmites - affecting her face because it
touches her pillow whereas the rest of her body is protected by pajamas.

Keep a food diary and note when she gets the rash.  Check the diet for
hidden gluten.  I kept getting reactions which were finally traced to non
gf vinegar.

Also, from the food diary you may discover the need for a diet change
(other than gluten)

Do a rotation diet.....do not repeat a food or food group more that once
every four days.  Keep food simple.  Less chance of contamination.

In my case I was on a strict g/f for 35 months before I quit breaking
completely and that is normal according to Dr. Murray of the G/F Living
Magazine.

I developed a similar problem around my nose (on the cheeks) and forehead and
my physician unable to diagnose it  referred me to a dermatologist in our
area (greater New Haven.) She said it is not related to CD but   persons with
gastroenterological problems sometimes develop it. She prescribed Pandel
(hydrocortisone buteprate cream 0/1%)  to be used as needed and an over the
counter Nutraderm original formula (pink label) made by Galderma in your
state,Fort Worth, at night before I go to sleep.  Both seem to work.  I've
had the Pandel tube since 8/98 and still have half a tube so something must
be working right.