From:
Francine Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francine Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2017 21:05:50 -0500

I received many responses stating what a great city Barcelona is for celiacs/gluten free or even many other food allergies.
Specific recommendations were:
-- la lluna, restaurante en ville, and sense.; You can also get sandwiches at conesa and crepes at creps al born.
-- sinGLU10 app for your phone. It has restaurant listings and a feature that lets you scan food labels to find out if a product is safe.
-- get the restaurant card in both Spanish and Catalan, as Catalan is the official language in Barcelona.
-- be careful with the beer—Duro (or something like that.) They say it’s gluten free but it’s not made with gluten free ingredients
-- national organization F.A.C.E.S. that will send you lists of restaurants and stores for shopping. Say 'Yo soy Celiaca' and everyone will understand.
-- sandwich shop Conesa (Carrer de la Llibreteria, 1, on the Plaça Sant Jaume). As I waited in line, I could see the entire tiny kitchen, and noted the gluten-free prep area and dedicated panini grill even before I ordered from the GF menu. Wow! Entrepà like a real Catalan! Served hot and wrapped to keep it uncontaminated, with a GF sticker on the paper. And right behind Conesa is the GaelicBCN Bar, where my family got lunch and I was welcome to eat my GF sandwich while downing a few of their gluten-free SCHNITZER BRAU (German beer from millet)!

The most unusual GF dish to die for was the (also vegan) eggplant “tapuy" at Patxoca (Carrer Mercaders, 28, Barcelona) - broiled in olive oil eggplant, finished with a glaze of brown sugar and served under a heaping portion of seaweed tossed like pasta with a tahini dressing.

And while in Barcelona, don’t forget to have a GF Creme de Catalana for desert, without the cookie garnish!

Also, recommended to search archives as there is more information!
Thank you so much to everyone that responded!  I also got some great tips on site seeing!  Traveling is always a bit stressful for me, I tend to be sensitive to contamination and can get a bit touchy when everyi=one else gets yummy food and I ams tuck with plain whatever.
Frani