From:
Charles Oldenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 10:49:06 EDT

I wonder if anyone has ever heard of a connection between intussusception in a
baby  and celiac.  My grandson had emergency surgery for this condition at age
eight months. It was pretty serious, but he survived.  Before that he had
always been fussy after eating.  This had started more or less when he began
to eat table foods. (cereals, sandwiches etc.)  His early childhood was marked
by many ear infections with consequences of hearing loss (temporary, I hope),
tubes in ears etc.  The sequela which is of note now is a kind of incontinence
for which he takes medication.  He is very embarrassed by this.  He is tall
and lanky - quite thin - not exactly a family characteristic.  Having celiac
is no fun for a kid - being different and having to eat different foods is a
real problem.  But so is having to remember to take medicine during the day or
suffer embarrassing consequences.  I just wonder if anyone has any experience
with this.  Thanks, Christina Oldenburg