Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:50:17 EDT

Has or does anyone here drink beer or malt beverages (Smirnoff Ice,wine
coolers)even though diagnosed celiacs aren't suppose to? I drink these on
occassion with no reaction whatsoever, which lead me to wonder if there
really is gluten in these alcholic beverages. I know they are made from
gluten containing grains, but if gluten is defined as a sticky, elastic
protein from wheat flour (from the dictionary), I don't understand how it can
transfer over to these products and also things like malt extracts and
flavorings.
Anyone have any scientific explainations? And, please, those of you that feel
the need to write to me telling me I am going to DIE because I drank
these,please save yourself the time and don't bother.
I am just curious if it is really necessary to avoid these items.
Thanks,
Wendy