From:
Maureen Jaques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:02:15 -0500

Thanks for all the replies. Here is a summary of what I received:
(Sorry about the length - I tried not to repeat - thanks for ALL the
replies!)(I'm hungry now!)

- don't take them out of the pan until they are almost cool and then don't
cut until completely cool.

- activate yeast prior to adding it to the flour mixture & use the same
measuring cups for liquid and dry ingredients.  If you use a glass liquid
cup and a regular plastic or metal nesting-type cup -- the measurements are
not the same

- sometimes increasing the protein helps - it was the gluten (a protein)
that built the structure of our wheat bread. So bean flour, eggs, gelatin,
and ground nuts are all high protein additives.

- decrease the liquid by the tablespoon, the bread won't deflate

- Try substituting  a Garbanzo (Chich Pea) or Garfava (Garbanzo and Fava
Bean flour mix) in place of one cup of the rice flour.  "You'll find a
better texture, flavor and rising characteristics."

- "differences in altitude and in natural humidity can cause changes in the
finished yeast product.  I have visited Bette Hagman in Seattle, and I live
in New Mexico at 4000 feet.  Her bread and mine come out differently, and
where she makes two loaves from a double recipe, I make three.  At higher
altitudes, water boils at a lesser temperature than at sea level, and that
same problem can affect baked goods.  For breads, I normally use a bit less
water than the recipe calls for.  For cakes, I normally use a bit less liquid
and add about 2 tablespoons flour."

- " have the same problem when I use regular-size bread tins.  By dividing
the batter into 10 small baking loafs (approx. 3" x 5"), I'm able to get
bread that rises nicely in the oven (and it stays that way).  It is also
light and airy and much moister than the large loafs.  They're great for
individual sandwiches when cut in half.   They can be toasted and freezing
is much easier as the bread doesn't have to be sliced and individually wrapped."

- " GF breads should be allowed to rise just to the top of the pan before
they are baked.  They continue to rise during bake time. Since GF breads are
not as elastic as wheat flour breads it is easier for them to "over-rise"
then fall. My favorite recipe for almost-normal white bread is Bette
Hagman's Cornstarch Bread,  page 92 of 'The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast
and Healthy'."

-"1.  Reduce the amount of yeast by 1/8 of a teaspoon at a time until the loaf
stops loafing (couldn't resist, sorry!)  You may also have to reduce the
water a bit (I hold back 1/4 cup and only add it if the dough looks too dry)
and/or

2.  you may be letting the bread rise too much before putting it in the oven.
 Bette said lots of people make this mistake - I did, which is why I asked
her why my bread was flat/collapsed.  Once you let it rise all the way, in
her words, "the yeast is exhausted" (and we thought WE were the ones
exhausted!) and will fall." (Thanks...Monica) <grin>

- " cutting back on the liquid by 2-3 tbsp may help the falling
problem.  I have had this happen too and have not baked enough yet to
develop that sense of what the dough should look like.  GF dough is
apparently more humidity responsive than non-gf dough."

- "Typically if a breads rises nice but then goes flat as it cools it is still
wet inside."

- xantham gum helps

Favourite Recipes included:

- Betty Hagman's chickpea and garfava bean recipes in Bette Hagman's THE
GLUTENFREE GOURMET BAKES BREAD

- favorite recipe for almost-normal white bread is Bette Hagman's Cornstarch
Bread,  page 92 of "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy".

Favourite "prepackaged mixes" included:

-  GlutenFree Pantry mixes - "the French bread is my favorite"

-  'Cause Your Special Company'