From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 14:24:29 +0100

Dear All,

I hope that I now can give recipes in cups as well as all
the other measurements.  I have double checked my measures
in books which give translations.

This is a very reliable bread.  I have now cooked it in 4
different ovens including our "lowest common denominator"
caravan oven.  On each occasion it was successful.

WARNING  If you don't eat a fairly high-fibre diet this
very high fibre bread could affect your insides until they
get used to the torrent of fibre (it - er - keeps you
regular).

2 oz or 60 g or 1/3 cup tapioca flour (UK listers - buy
tapioca and grind in an electric coffee grinder then sieve)

1.5 oz or 40 g or 1/4 cup potato flour

1 oz or 30 g or 1/4 cup arrowroot

4.25 oz or 120 g or 2/3 cup white rice flour

2.5 oz or 75 g or 1/2 cup unpolished sesame seed

NB All spoon measures are _level_
1 tsp or 5ml of ground rice bran

2 tsp or 30 ml of gram flour (indian bean flour)

2 tsp or 30 ml of GF buckwheat flour

2 tsp or 30 ml of fine corn meal

1 tsp or 5 ml of salt

1 tbs or 15 ml sugar

1.5 tsp or 7.5 ml GF baking powder

4 tbs or 60 ml instant dried milk (I use instant spray
dried skimmed milk with vegetable fat)

4 tsp or 20 ml Guar gum

4 tsp or 20 ml "Certo" (this is an apple pectin extract in
liquid form sold for jam making - try some pectin powder if
you can't get this.  NB it must not contain any
preservative as this will kill the yeast)

2 tbs or 30 ml vegetable oil (We only ever use virgin olive
oil but I imagine any edible oil you can tolerate should be
fine)

2 medium eggs

1.5 oz or 40 g or 1/4 cup broken walnut kernels (crush them
small)

0.5 tsp or 2.5 ml linseed

1/2 pint or 300 ml water at 35-40C (95-100F)

2 tsp or 10 ml dried yeast

1 tsp or 5 ml cooking honey

Start by getting the yeast started - add the honey to the
warm water stir well then add the dried yeast and stir well
again.  Leave to work.

In a mixing bowl add all of the dry ingredients and stir
well.  Then add the eggs, oil and pectin.  Stir well then
mix until the mixture has the consistency of bread crumbs.
Now add the yeast mix (assuming that it is working well
enough) and mix with a wooden spoon.  The mix will start
wet then steadily become thicker.  It should never be quite
thick enough to knead but stiffer than a normal cake
mixture.

This needs to be baked in a one pound loaf tin.  I grease
my nonstick tin with a good margerine then use a strip of a
nonstick "teflon" cloth material we can get over here stuck
in place in the tin by the margerine.  Grease the tin again
over the nonstick material and coat with either flour or
(as I do) soya bean bran.

Put in a large polythene bag and let it rise in a warm
place until the mixture has begun to dome at the top of the
tin (if you leave it too long you get air spaces in the
bread).  Note that it will not increase in size during
baking.

Bake in the tin for 35 minutes (middle shelf) at 200C
(400F) then turn it out of the tin and bake it for ten more
minutes upside down on the same shelf.

Freshly baked, this has a CRUST although this doesn't last
long. By the time the loaf has cooled the crust is a bit
soft (I have instructions from my lady that I must find out
how to part bake rolls with this mix so she take a couple
from the freezer every morning and have crisp, hot rolls
for breakfast again).

The consistency of this loaf is genuinely like a heavy
*real* bread.  I'm a non-coeliac and can verify that.  Once
you get rolling, this is not a particularly difficult bread
to make, you just have to get everything together first.  I
weigh into a bowl on electronic scales, zeroing between
weighings, which is quick and very easy.

My thanks to John Cheshire whose "Wholemeal GF Brown Bread
with Hemp Seed" recipe is the start point for this
(hopefully less contentious) one.  Also many thanks to Di
in BC who very kindly sent me Guar gum from Canada.  The
good news is that it is now available in small packs in the
UK from health food shops.

You may be able to use this mix in a bread machine. John's
loaf was designed for his bread machine, and my quantities
aren't too different.

Happy baking

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Safety Officer
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209