From:
Audri Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:20:42 EST

Hello list mates,

I received a lot of feedback from the list, including great support.  Thanks
so much to all who responded.

1.  Signature Brands, a subsidiary of Betty Crocker, is now producing gluten
free sprinkle toppings and icings.   I spoke with Kathryn Harlan
(1-800-456-9573) and she told me they have changed over all of their formulas
to make these products GF.  (Make sure you read the labels because there still
could be some product from last year on the shelves with wheat starch).  The
products I have found at my local stores are: Parlour Perfect Ice Cream
Toppings Confetti Sprinkles (found in the sundae topping aisle), decorating
stars, ice cream critters, and nonpareils (little balls).  Nicole was so happy
to have these for her cupcakes!  I have been assured there is no cross
contamination.

2. Miss Robens carries GF chocolate sprinkle from Guitard.  They said they
plan on carrying more products like this and are in the process of checking
out the GF status at this time.  I am still waiting for my chocolate sprinkles
in the mail.  They told me they are wonderful.

3.  I had quite a few people tell me they have colored sugar with GF food
coloring.  (Put a few drops of food coloring in a bag with sugar or sugar
crystals, let dry before use).

4.  Another suggestion was to put GF hard candies in a blender or food
processor to make your own colored crystals.

5.  A few people in Canada and the U.S. mentioned McCormick gels and sprinkles
are GF.  I can not get these in Columbus but you may be able to.

I hope this is helpful to all of you with children (or for the child in you).
Thanks again and a special thanks to the list mate who sent me the Signature
Brands 800 #.

Audri (Nicole's Mom), Columbus OH.