From:
Reimar Gaertner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:38:04 -0400

I am trying to understand why I still experience symptoms (diarrhea,
stomach ache, gas/bloating, tired) in spite of my thorough GF diet.  I
don't appear to be celiac(?), but am gluten intolerant and IgG antigliadin
positive.  I notice that I don't appear to be digesting my food properly.
I can have breakfast at 7:30 am and at 1:00 pm while working out I burp and
still taste breakfast!  The large volume of stools I produce appear to be
peppered with undigested material.

This got me to thinking that perhaps it is this indigestion that is the
root of my problems.  Is it possible that when there is insufficient
stomach acid or pancreatic enzymes/bile salts, relatively high
concentrations of undigested proteins such as gliadin in the small
intestines cause irritation, and eventually sensitization?  Is this why so
many gluten intolerant people also react to other proteins?

I'm going back to the doctor for further follow-up since I'm not getting
better and thought I would ask if others have traveled this path already.
Has anyone with gluten intolerance also been found to have a problem with
digestion (as opposed to absorption)?  What caused the indigestion, what
was the treatment, and was it of benefit?

Thanks for your help.

Reimar in Toronto