From:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:51:00 -0500

I have a friend who has been battling severe bipolar disorder for about
3 years. I have mentioned to him some connections for some people
of celiac with depression. Recently he has begun to have further
problems - severe diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain - even vomiting
blood occassionally.  Now he is back in the psychiatric ward and they
are doing some tests but  the scope of his stomach showed no
problems.  At the time of the scope, he asked if they could also test the
intestines for celiac disease but the doctor only questioned why he
would think that would be necessary.  So we are going to look for
another doctor with celiac experience in another hospital once he is
released.  This doctor  only feels that his problems are caused by the
depression and only suggests more antidepressants and shock
treatments.

However if we can not find a good doctor (he is living in an eastern
europe country) he may just have to try the diet and see if it helps.

Here are my questions
-for anyone who found that the GF diet helped their depression - how
long did it take to begin to feel that the diet was helping with the
depression?
-what supplements would be necessary to help aid the gut healing
and lift the depression while on the diet?  He can't take a lot and some
things are not available here - so what are the say 3 most important
things to take.

Thanks to all from both of us.
Caulene