From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:53:53 -0600

Because of Ayn's plea for support, I too have written the following to
Stouffer's to plead for gluten-free entrees:

Dear Stouffer's:

One of the women on our St. John's celiac listserv posted a letter you had
sent her about the possibility of gluten-free entrees.

I just want to put another bug in your ear: People who have celiac disease
make up about one percent of the total population. People who feel they are
gluten intolerant or wheat allergic make up six percent more.

Add to those number this distinction: Since celiac disease is an autoimmune
disease, it appears far more in women than it does in men. Women, who shop
for their whole family, will buy groceries not just for themselves, but for
everyone in her household. Good tasting entrees for her will likely be used
by the entire family. I'll bet you that way more than half of gluten free
food brought home by mom is eaten by the rest of the family. I know this is
the case at my house, which has to remain entirely gluten free because I am
among those very sensitive to contamination.

Given the fact that celiacs can rarely feel safe eating out (even small
amounts of contamination are very harmful to us), we cook at home MUCH more
than the average consumer. Usually we have to make everything from scratch
because there aren't many prepared options for us.

This is definitely a consumer driven issue.

I entreat anyone at Stouffer's to look at the gluten-free offerings in any
supermarket. You'll find that the tastiest choices are picked clean. For
this reason many of us have to supplement our food supplies by mail order.

You would do well to be ahead of the curve on this issue. We are a loyal
bunch.

Thank you for considering my pea and for producing the many convenient foods
I enjoyed before my celiac disease diagnosis.

Sincerely,
Kit Kellison

--
Kit Kellison