From:
Sylvia Smolorz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:08:33 -0500

Hi all,

after we all know that Allure didn't do a great job reporting on gluten,
there's a full-length article on "irritable bowel syndrome" in this month's
Shape. Now I thought this was mostly a doctor's excuse for the lack of a
diagnosis, but maybe I'm wrong. I think their conclusion is quite
reasonable, they quote a medical person saying that every patient will have
to figure out on her own what triggers her symptoms. Now this is what a lot
of people on this list have been doing, due to lack of support from the
medical profession. They also say that before someone should be diagnosed
with IBS, one has to make sure it isn't any other kind of disease. Which is
where I wonder, isn't IBS just a convenient label that excuses the doctor
from looking harder for a more concrete problem, like Celiac disease?
They have a website at www.shapemag.com. I haven't found that article on
there yet, but I keep getting server errors. Maybe someelse will have more
luck (I bought the hardcopy).

Sylvia in Ithaca, NY, USA.