From:
Gina Bauman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gina Bauman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:19:51 -0600

Wow - started a commotion with this one! As you read yesterday, I simply summarized the responses to my original question on what beverages had gluten. I did not do further research because I would hope that those who took the time to respond to the question had done the research before responding, considering my request was due to me be tired of having to do my own research on every beverage I pick up at the grocery store.  Unfortunately, by just summarizing what I had received, I did exactly what I did not want to do - spread bad information!!! So thank you to those who have responded to clear up the following:

1)  I just called Knudson. They are awaiting the gluten testing on the Sensible Sippers. They DO NOT ABSOLUTELY contain gluten, They are in the process of assuring that no cross contamination as occurred. This is very different from knowing that they have added gluten, which they have not.

2)  It is REALLY important to indicate where you are living and where the summary is for such as the USA.  Several items mentioned in the summary you wrote such as chocolate milk and  Clamato juice, when made by the popular distributors in Canada, are gluten free.  So listing in your summary where you are from and to indicate that you are summarizing American products (which I would presume you would infer from the signature lines of the people who respond to you) will be beneficial for both Americans who can use the data and others who read the list, like Canadians will not have to worry about the products.  It is one of the challenges we face in Canada – items that are not gluten free in the US that are GF in Canada and vice versa, that are communicated via this listserv and not referenced as to where the item is from.  We in western Canada just went through the Clamato thing and whether it is gluten free or not, and I personally, who does support for a chapter, would not want to start the whole discussion over again just because it was on this listserv and not mentioned that it was American Clamato that was being talked about.  Also, that is when brand names are ever so much more helpful too, as you probably know. :) When I respond to posts like this I always indicate that I am responding about Canada, and it is only fair that others do the same about their respective countries.  It is a multi-national list.  (NOTE: Good point!!! I went back and checked all the responses, and aside from one from Pennsylvania, the other responses could not be identified by their signatures and/or email addresses as to whether they were American, Canadian, etc, etc. Maybe we all need to get better with this!)

3)  I contacted Minute Maid/Coca Cola and was assured that all of their drink are GF.

4)  Thanks for the summary of gluten in beverages, but are you sure about the mcdonald's juice boxes?  we have been consuming those for years, while on the road, and none of our sensitive celiac kids have ever had a reaction.  also it's not noted on their list of things to avoid, so just wondering.....

5) Why on earth would McDonald's juice boxes be anything but gluten-free? If
it's just because McD's doesn't test their juice and won't list it....I'm a skeptic at heart, but honestly, I haven't a clue what can be in 100% juice that would have gluten.

6)  There are many Minute Maid products that are GF among them being Minute Maid Lemonade, Minute Maid Light Lemonade, Minute Maid Kids + Apple, Minute Maid Pomegranate Blueberry Juice, Minute Maid Pomegranate Lemonade, Minute Maid Pomegranate Flavored Tea, Minute Maid Multi-Vitamin Orange Juice, Minute Maid Juice Bars (Orange, Cherry, and Grape)--straight from Coca Cola's "mouth." In addition, the apple juice from McDonalds that is a Minute Maid product is also GF.

7)  I am following up with Knudson's as I thought all of their juices were gluten free as they are an all natural/organic company very dedicated to health. If "wheat" was a thickener, it would have to be listed. Other source of gluten wouldn't.  I will post feedback I get to the full list!

Okay - Sorry again for upsetting anyone for passing on bad info. I think we all need to make sure we verify verify verify the gluten content of products before saying they "definitely" have gluten . . .

Gina

NM - USA