From:
Sheri Repucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sheri Repucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:01:16 -0500

Summary of the responses recieved on the following email:

- 13 respondents in total.

- 7 shared their opinion that the spent grain of the sprout contained
  gluten, but no one had solid research data supporting their position.
  One respondent did, however, point me to a researcher in the field but
  I have been unable to find his published research.  I will eventually
  followup and try to contact the researcher directly.  If anything solid
  comes of it, I'll mail it on to the list.

- Only one person spoke about the sprout's gluten content (vs the spent
  grain). This person claimed the sprout was gluten free and, while warning
  about eating manufactured sprouted grain bread due to the inclusion
  of the spent grain, did suggest one could safely eat sprouted bread if
  it was homemade and the spent grains were removed in the process.  This
  information was offered as opinion, no scientific research was quoted.

-The remaining 5 respondents spoke either of other issues or expressed
 an interest in the answer.

-No one reported experience eating sprouted grain breads.

Since posting this mail I went off and decided to do an informal experiment
with the two brands of sprouted bread I'd seen in my local health food store.
Result: I reacted to one but not the other.  However, my reaction to the one
was very mild and in fact, was significantly less than the reaction I get when
I ingest McCanns oatmeal.

Overall, my own opinion is that it's probably best not to ingest the spent
grain of a gluten-grain sprout, but I admit I'm not yet absolutely convinced.

A side note.  One of the respondents sent me an intriguing web site that I
wanted to share.  It discusses the fermentation process in traditionally
made sourdough bread, related to gluten.  Again, it's not scientific info,
but it is intriguing: www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/ourdailybread.html

Thanks to all who shared.

-Sheri
======