From:
Ayn Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 19:08:50 -0500

Hi All--

At the risk of filling up everyone's mailboxes with questions, I have
yet another one for you (I'm trying to separate the topics for those who
search the archives for a particular subject).

I've noticed a number of posts re: CD and diabetes. For 20 years or so,
I've suffered from reactive hypoglycemia - my blood sugar bottoms out
after eating sugar without a healthy serving of protein beforehand. In
the past, prior to going gf a week ago, this happened only if I ate
sugar (cereal and sugar or toast and jam) in the a.m. Now, however, even
after eating only a slice of plain gf toast and drinking a glass of gf
milk in the a.m., my blood sugar drops three hours later. The biggest
problem I have with this right now is that I'm still new to being gf and
I'm not organized enough to think of things to snack on to keep by blood
sugar up. I don't want to eat more gf bread since it's so high in
calories, and vegies don't help.

Does anyone know why I may be experiencing this drop in blood sugar more
often now that I'm gf? Any suggestions on how to keep this from
happening - like, what snacks I might be able to eat that won't add more
inches to my already bloated middle? I'm not crazy about eating anything
sweet - even sweetened with fructose or artificial sweetener - I don't
have much of a sweet tooth.

Thanks.  Ayn.