From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:26:30 -0600

Hi All,

Again, I am posting to the list on this thread originated by Susan Baker
because it is information that especially newly diagnosed celiacs should be
aware of . Elevated transaminases are observed in many patients with celiac
disease. In many cases these liver enzymes normalize over time on a
gluten-free diet. And there are cases that do not normalize on the diet.
Elevated transaminase has been reported many, many times in the peer
reviewed literature. It is sometimes the only presenting feature of celiac
disease.

It is therefore important to recognize the connection between celiac
disease and hypertransaminasaemia, in order to avoid undue alarm, as
well as recognizing the need for strict dietary compliance to aid in the
recovery of a variety of organs and body systems. best wishes, Ron
Hoggan Calgary, Ab, Canada

Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:09:11 EDT