Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 22:37:58 -0500

I read an interesting piece in a magazine last week (I think it was Glamour)
discussing the new concept of a high protein, low carb diet- they said they
felt it was not a good idea as the initial weight that was taken off is due
to part water weight loss and cut in calories since many carb items have many
more calories than protein items (fish, etc.)  They felt that once you start
to go back to carbs, the weight will come back on quite quickly.

This is actually the opposite of what my nutritionist recommended a few
months ago for cutting carbs, not only for weight loss but for increased
ebergy level as well. She recommended I cut down to 150gm carbs a day and
from the discussion you have seen the last few days on how some brown rices
have approx 40gm carbs in 1/4 cup serving, you can imagine they add up quite
quickly. In fact, according to that thought, I was eating my whole day's
carbs before I even finished breakfast! I do notice though a huge difference
in energy level since I have stopped eating carbs for breakfast and limiting
them for lunch. Also cutting extra sugar out has been a big savour. I hate to
do it at this time of year (Easter candy is my weakness- by the way
Marshmellow Peeps are gf from Just Borne- the makers of Hot Tomales and Mike
N Ikes-) but it's what I must do to feel healthy, increase energy level, and
fit in my skinny jeans again :)

Leslie-NYC