From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 13:41:46 EDT

In Participating in special occasions and in day to day office
communications, people often bring in donuts, bagels, birthday cakes and
other forbidden goodies on the spur of the moment.  I am sure you have
all experienced the feeling, not only the loss of delicious food we can
no longer partake of, but also the emotional isolation of not being
able to join in and share; a feeling that has nothing to do with the
food.  Today I just returned from Church Services where we break the
bread during Communion.  Part of this experience is to bring together in
unity the entire church body, sharing the bread.  When I refuse the
bread and receive the wine, there is often quizzical looks from the
attendants, but no room to explain at that time.  It is at this time I
feel isolated.

For those of you who are Christian and partake of this sacrament, how do
you handle this occasion?  Have you any understanding with your
particular church that helps to resolve the moment?  If anyone has had
any solutions or suggestions, I would like to hear about them.  Thanks

Carol L, N.J.