From:
Gina McKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:09:04 -0500

In a recent post to the list I noted:

"Any long-term medication that you will be taking should be checked for
gluten content. If your medication will be taken only short term, such
as an antibiotic, you probably don't have to worry so much about
checking. In this case, you will probably have to take the medication,
anyway, whether it is gluten free or not.  As long as a medication is
short term, you shouldn't have to worry too much about the gluten
content - it is not going to do that much damage over the short term."

I think that celiacs should analyze this opinion carefully and decide for
themselves if they agree with this.  Being very conservative, I watch and
check everything my husband consumes including meds, long or short term.  I
do not mean any disrespect to the poster, I just feel that some people may
take this to heart and perhaps they should not.  I just want them to be
aware that they need to decide this for themselves.  We do not know if the
statement:  "it is not going to do that much damage over the short term" is
an accurate statement.

Thank you.

Gina
NJ