Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 22:38:21 -0500

Our Company forced everyone into HMO.  Our little boy is diabetic and celiac
and is and has been under the care of Johns Hopkins Univ.  Johns Hopkins is
a research hospital with an excellent pediatric department both in
endocrinology as well as gastroenterology.  Our HMO has taken it upon
themselves not only to refuse coverage with Johns Hopkins, but they have
also taken the liberty of requesting all of his medical files be transferred
to another hospital from Johns Hopkins..  Both hospitals are not local, but
the one the files are to be transferred to is in-network.  All this was done
without our consent.  Luckily we received a copy of the letter of
instruction to our son's pediatric in-network doctor.  Johns Hopkins has
already told us that they might have trouble fitting in new patients.  Once
Chris's records are gone, it is not certain they will have an opening for
him.  Has anyone else experienced difficulty with a similar situation.  I
want to add that the hospital our son is approved to go to is a resident/
physician training hospital.  My mother had surgery there and is paying the
consequences for the rest of her life.  She has had to have multiple
surgeries to correct the problem, not to mention she is scheduled for
another for more surgery in March.  Do I really want to take the chance of
treatment there knowing that the doctor might not order all necessary blood
work for our son's diabetic care so they can get a kickback at the end of
the year from the HMO.  Does the HMO have the right to request the transfer
of medical records from one hospital to another with my consent?  Are there
any laws on this?  Are the people in the "Medical Services Department" at
the HMO trained in the medical field ie:  RN nurses, doctors on an advisory
committee, etc.?

Unless they know full what they are dealing with, I don't feel they have the
qualifications to judge how a patient should be treated and by whom.  Our
son is only six years old with two chronic conditions.  This really scares
me.  I contacted Johns Hopkins to see if they will still take Chris knowing
that we would not have any insurance coverage for his treatments.  I'm
waiting to hear from them.  It's not cheap but our son only has one life and
life is short enought as it is.

Thanks for any information in advance.  I feel so much better when I hear
from this group.

Pat W.
Lititz PA