From:
Christina G <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christina G <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:14:22 -0600

Tried to send this earlier but it got returned, was too large, so will break it into a few messages. Thank you SO much, everyone that wrote to me! I REALLY appreciate your help.  Please note that many of these suggestions/recipes aren't GFCFSF, but they sound SO yummy. Below is a summary.

Christina

**********
Chick peas aka garbanzo beans make a classic hummus but I like to change it up by using canned white beans, aka White Northern Beans or Cannellini. It's a little different... There is also a great classic - artichoke dip - made with chopped frozen artichokes, mayo (you could skip the sour cream, but it usually has sour cream) and seasonings...bake to melt slightly... Also - there's probably a GFCF Ranch Dip recipe out there somewhere on the net - if you use mayo and soy alternatives...?

**********
Can be served with veggies and bread sticks. You can also modify it with low fat mayo.

VEGETABLES WITH RED PEPPER AND GARLIC MAYONNAISE (makes 1 cup)
A nice hors d'oeuvre teaming fresh vegetables with a simplified version of  rouille, the spicy red pepper and garlic sauce that typically accompanies French fish soups.
2 large garlic gloves
1/2 cup diced drained roasted red pepper from jar
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Assorted vegetables (such as carrot sticks, yellow bell pepper strips, cherry tomatoes and boiled baby potatoes).With processor running, drop garlic through feed tube and mince. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add roasted pepper, vinegar and cayenne and process until mixture is almost a smooth purée. Add 1/4 cup mayonnaise and process using on/off turns just until combined. Transfer sauce to a small bowl; mix in remaining 1/4 cup mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at 30 minutes. (CAn be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Place dip in center of platter. Arrange vegetables around dip and serve.

**********

White Bean Dip

1 can of Cannelini Beans (white kidney beans) Progresso or S&W brands are good, also Whole Foods Brand), reserve some of the liquid for blending
Olive Oil, I use the good extra virgin variety, 2 Tablespoons or so
2-4 cloves or fresh garlic, I smash mine first
Fresh squeezed lemon juice, 2-4 Tablespoons or to taste
Fresh Rosemary or Fresh Thyme, pull off a handful of leaves (1 Tablespoon or so)
Sea Salt to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste

 Just blend all these ingredients in a blender or food processor, you can puree it smooth or leave it kind of chunky, it's up to you. If it needs more liquid to puree well, add more olive oil or bean liquid. You could use some vegetable broth instead of all the oil for a lower fat version. This is really healthy and good on vegetable crudite, or gluten free crackers or breads. Especially good with sliced tomatoes. You can also double this recipe and use two cans of beans and double the other ingredients.

 For entrée ideas: You can also use this spread as a filling for GF pasta shells, serve with red sauce. Or make a polenta torte: make polenta-see pkg instructions, pour into a an oiled sheet pan to firm, top with parmesan and olive oil spray, bake at 375 till golden brown, cool. If you slice the polenta into equal size layers, you can stack the polenta layers between the bean (dip) filling. This is really good.

 Also, add more liquid or broth to the dip recipe, heat it up gently, and you have a great White Bean Soup.

Thai Kitchens makes a spicy peanut sauce that you just add coconut milk to & then serve warm or cold.
Also, I take hot salsa & add sour cream (or plain yogurt) and black beans.  My friends love it.  I also like babaganouj - an eggplant dip - and hummous that I pick up from a Middle Eastern restaurant.