From:
Angi Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:30:35 -0700

My daughter just turned 2.  For a few months, we were suspecting celiac
disease with her.  She has an appointment with the gastroenterologist
this month (it seemed to take forever to get that appointment!).  Her
main symptom has been chronic diarrhea.  For a while, elimination of cow
milk helped, though her stools were never *very* solid.  Her stools
typically look like a cross between Hershey's syrup and instant black
bean soup.  Very dark and gooey.  She's also fallen off the bottom of
the growth chart, from around the time she was about 8 months old
(around the time she started on solid snack foods, such as Cheerios).
And she's been anemic for at least the past year.

At the beginning of March, we took her off wheat and gluten for about 3
weeks.  Her stools immediately got lighter in color, and gradually got
more and more solid.  She also gained a whole pound, quite suddenly!

When we put her back on the wheat after that time, the only immediate
change was that she began to complain of pain whenever we put pressure
on her tummy (as with a diaper change, when fastening the pins).  Then
over a couple weeks, the dark color and gooey-ness returned to her
stools.

She had some blood testing done after she'd been back on wheat for about
3 weeks, and all I was told was that one of her immunoglobulin levels
was "slightly elevated" -- not enough for a definite diagnosis, but
enough to add to our suspicions.

Now the odd thing is that in the past 2-3 weeks, her stools have
suddenly become rather...  normal!  For the first time in her life.  I
would love to believe that whatever the problem was, it has just
mysteriously disappeared and won't return.  But after having problems
for this long, I'm not prone to believing that.  Should we still suspect
celiac disease?  Has anybody else had symptoms disappear like that, for
no apparent reason?

  -- Angi