From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:18:22 -0800

At 01:00 PM 11/22/00 -0500, Craig Marcott wrote:

>One individual wanted to know more about the restrictions imposed by the FDA
>on EnerG Foods.  It is complicated, and since I am not familiar with all of
>the facts, I will say only that the FDA required a change in the atmosphere
>used (or created) in the vacuum packing.  This required a change in the
>recipe.  As far as I am aware, there was no evidence of any problems that
>would have precipitated this FDA ruling.  I do not know which, if any,
>products other than the English Muffins were affected. For further
>information, I suggest you contact EnerG Foods.

The problem as the man at Ener-G Foods explained it to me (to the wrinkled
best of my senior memory :) was that the Canadian government (I didn't
think it was the FDA) at the time wanted some change to those  products
that Ener-G listed with a shelf life of six months -- even though there had
been no reported problems with product. Their first attempts to satisfy
Canada was to up the amount of Vit C immensely to stave off problems. But
that changed the taste, color and texture drastically, toward a brownish
color. So I think they finally managed to satisfy Canada by backing off the
amount of Vit C, and some changes in the way they vacuum packed those
products. If you write them or phone them they are very helpful about
explaining anything you might wonder about. They have always been very
responsive to me about any questions. -vance