From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:38:06 -0400

I made bread in a bread machine for the first time and it wasn’t a rousing
success- should have raised longer.  So I was inspired to pull out a 38 year
old cookbook, one of the first in my collection: Diet for a Small Planet by
Francis Moore Lappe.  As it is pre-1978 and she has published newer
editions, I hope it’s ok to share this recipe- it was one of my favorites
and I just realized that I hadn’t made it for a very long time.  It’s so
simple and delicious and a good use for less than perfect bread- you could
even save those broken pieces just to make this:

Francis Lappe's Easy and Elegant Cheese soufflé:
-------------------------------------

3 cups grated cheese

4 - 6 slices of bread

2 cups milk or 1 & 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup wine or vermouth

3 eggs, beaten

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp. thyme

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

pepper

Layer the cheese and bread in an oiled baking dish, starting with the bread.

Pour over it the milk or milk mixture.

Beat, with the eggs, the salt and remaining ingredients and pour this over
the bread mixture also.

Let stand for 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 F 1 hour in a pan of hot water

This dish sounds so very easy and homey, but is truly elegant.  When you
take it out of the oven, you yourself won’t believe how simply it was made.
In a deep dish it has the appearance of a soufflé; in a shallow dish it
resembles a quiche.

It is great for supper with soup and/or salad.