From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 13:15:36 -0700

Hi All--

Thank you, thank you to everyone who sent me recipes and tips and hints. A couple of weeks ago, I asked for GF bread recipes that use no bean flours (for those of us who can't tolerate them for whatever reason) and less rice flour. In other words, I was looking for recipes that use alternative flours - primarily. Some of you suggested that I try Manna from Anna bread mix, which concerns me a bit. Manna from Anna uses 4 or 5 bean flours. I really don't intend to be rude, but either those people didn't read my post or they don't know what's in the food they eat. Sorry, but I can't come up with any other explanations.

A number of people were like me - unable to tolerate the bean flours and were either allergic/sensitive to rice or just plain didn't like the taste of rice bread. I received some pretty wonderful recipes and suggestions. Thanks, again, to everyone who sent help...I tried some of the following recipes and finally found one. The amaranth bread was the best for me, based on taste, texture, rise-factor, etc. It turned out a slightly sweet bread (I'll cut the sugar next time) that rose nicely and tastes very good (subjective opinion, of course).

Having said all that, my doc now thinks I'm sensitive or allergic to yeast. Regardless, the two times I made the amaranth bread, it was very good.

Amaranth Bread

My daughter and I make an Amaranth bread that we really like.  You can find the recipe at www.celiac.com  Scroll down to Karen Robertson's Gluten-Free Cooking Class and then to Bread Class with Alternative Flours by Karen Robertson to find this recipe.  I substitute sorghum flour for the brown rice flour, and sometimes for 1/2 cup of the tapioca starch flour, too. I usually have to let it rise for longer than what the recipe says.  I
order the amaranth flour from  www.nuworldamaranth.com
_____
Hi,after a lot of trial and error I have come up with a mix that works for me to use as if it were all purpose flour.In fact thats how I treat most recipes.I just sub this cup for cup for APflour and add 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum for each cup.Ok  The Mix is :  1 pound Brown Rice Flour
             1 pound white rice flour
             1 pound potato starch
             1/2 pound tapioca starch
I pour these right out of the bags into a big bowl and use a whisk to mix them up before putting the whole batch in a plastic canister.I keep it and use it just like AP flour.My bread recipe is an adaptation of a Gluten free pamphlet from red star yeast.      try this
Dry INGREDIENTS
3 cups Flour mix
1/3 cup Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Xantthan Gum
3 tablespoons sugar or honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast
Wet INGREDIENTS
3 eggs
1 teaspoon Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Vegetable oil(I use Melted Butter)
1 1/2 cups Milk
METHOD
Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl including yeast and mix on low till blended
Mix wet ingredients together(I microwave milk until it is 80 or 90 degrees,but not more then 110 or you kill the yeast) Pour wet ingredients into mixer with dry and mix for ten minutes.I find the long mixing helps to develope a little extra structure. Pour mix into a greased and floured baking pan and loosely cover with plastic.Place it in a warm place and let double could take several hours.I bake it at 375 until it is light brown and sounds hollow.(Sorry I don't cook it by time) I generally have a little dough left over that doesnt fit and I will add some sugar and fry it for doughnuts.Give it a try and let me know if it works out for you
_____

I was on vacation when you wrote your letter.  I wanted to let you know about a hamburger bun recipe that is in one of Bette Hagman's books using her featherweight flour mix.  They taste good and if microwaved to heat  just before eating they do not fall apart. I measure out dry ingredients for  three batches at a time and then bake a batch as I need it adding the wet ingredients.  They do not take kneading and only rise for 20-40 minutes.  I use tuna fish cans so they come out shaped right.  And of course they can be used for any kind of sandwiches as well as dinner rolls.I cannot use the bean flours either and there seem to be a lot of others who cannot.
_____
 I have made Sandwich Bread from Carol Fenster's cookbook.  It has sorghum flour, potato strch, tapioca flour and corn flour in it.  It makes a very good bread.  If you are interested I can send you the recipe. The other bread that I have made is Sorghum Bread which is on the
twinvalleymills.com website.
_____
Call Red Star Yeast for their free pamphlet on GF breads.  I started with one of their recipies, and adapted it to the recipe I use today.  The flours they use are pretty much substituable (is that a word?) in equal measure. YOu may have to adjust the water used to make the loaf lighter or heavier as you desire.  The number is 1-800-4-CELIAC.  There are about 10
recipies, all are good as is, but can be converted to whatever you have available, or can tolerate.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama

Yahoo! Mail Mobile