From:
Jennifer Spicer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 15:22:51 GMT

Here is a summary of the responses I received to the post "First Post by
Recent Ceoliac's Husband Gluten sensitivity".  Sorry about the spelling
mistake.

Thanks to all who replied, there were 36 within a couple of days.  All were
very supportive and informative.  I hope I've done justice to them with this
summary.  If anyone needs more detail, please contact me directly.

On the subject of Gluten intolerance once 100%GF, of those who answered that
part:
     not very/less  6;
     same  2; and
     very/more  10.

One suggestion was that a strong reaction is _good_ as it will make sure the
diet is followed and not damage the body.  Another was to take the
antigliandin antibody test to check the diet.

Vinegar
Safe list includes:  Rice, Apple cider, wine, Balsamic, white (OK for
     some not all)
Some said malt vinegar was OK provided it is distilled, same applies
     to alcohol, eg whisky.
There is dispute as to whether gliandin can pass through the
     distillation process.  It seems that very small quantities can be
     detected, some say the concentration is too low to matter, others say
     any trace should be avoided.
Some replies said that as malt vinegar originates with grain it must
     be avoided.
One pointed out that some malt vinegar is spirit vinegar _flavoured_
     with malt, therefore _not_ safe.
Some consider malt/malt extract safe, others say it should be avoided.

A couple of replies said there does seem to be difference in opinion on the
GF diet rules.  The US are very strict, whereas Europe is much less so, with
Canada being somewhere in between, I had noticed this from reading the list.
Having said this, nearly all of the replies which mentioned how they kept to
the diet were of the relaxed type, even though most were from the US.  By
relaxed I mean following the diet as well as possible without making a
religion out of it, accepting that there will be accidents and not losing too
much sleep over it.  No-one thought ignoring or cheating the diet was a good
idea.  According to Murphy's Law "If it can happen...it will!", short of
removing all offending grains from planet Earth or stopping eating, there
_will_ be accidents.

I think the best comment of all, one that everyone will surely agree
with came from Sharon in KS:
     It makes me mad if I get some (gluten) accidentally because I always
     think, "If I am going to break the diet, let me break it on something
     I miss terribly."

Good luck and seasons greetings to all
John Spicer