From:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:49:29 -0400

I had a overwhelming response to my post/survey as to whether the celiacs
out there gained or lost wait on the gf diet. I guess I am impatient about
my daughter's lack of weight gain. Since she is heading off to college in
the fall, I am a bit anxious to see the scales go up since I doubt she will
be counted among those who put on the freshman 15. She is on medication for
other conditions that restrict her from alcohol, so beer weight isn't
happening.
15 people are back to their normal weight
21 people are struggling to gain weight
32 people have gained what they consider too much weight
I have learned that not all celiacs present with a wasted look and that many
are a healthy weight and also many are overweight. Many who responded they
were gaining too much weight also suffered from thyroid disease. The bottom
line seems to be that everyone takes a different amount of time to heal and
weight varies but everyone agreed the gf diet made them feel a lot better.
Metabolism, age a famliy traits are also an important factor.
I offended at least one person and for that I have apologized. I would be
the last person to jugde those who are in the overweight camp as I am there
myself and I have nothing but respect for the courage and self control of
all of you who make the effort to be gluten free.Thanks for your response
and kind wishes for my daughter's return to good health.
Good luck to all,
Kathy  - mom to a teen celiac