From:
"D.A. Wood" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 21:50:48 -0800

Dear CS Listmembers,

We have been pleased and gratified by all your responses to our call
for information of GF nutritional supplements.  Here is a summary of

* Boost (by Johnson and Johnson; 1-800 number avail. from
      pharmacist) -- may be a problem for those with lactose
     intolerance, as may other supplements).  Confirmed GF by one
     member's call to the manufacturer and in personal use.

* Carnation Instant Breakfast- (ready to drink, and also the powder)
     in the following flavors are GF, according to several posts:
     - French Vanilla
     - Strawberry Creme
     - Cafe Mocha
     - Creamy Milk Chocolate

The Carnation Instant Breakfast is also available in a "no sugar
added" variety.  Those same flavors (except Cafe Mocha) are also GF.

* CitriSource by Sandoz, specifically marked "Gluten Free".  Very
     artificial taste noted by several respondents.

* COMPLAN, GF and tastes good; widely available. (from a New Zealand
     listmember).

* Ensure, Ensure Plus -- confirmed GF by a nutritionist.  May be
     puddings available in some markets.

* Marquee Nutritional Supplement purchased at IGA supermarkets in
     USA.  Vanilla flavor, no "gluten ingredients" noticed on
     ingredient list. Distributed by Fleming Co. Inc.  Oklahoma
     City, OK 73126

* Nuplex by Thompson (nutritional supplement in pill form).

* "Recovery Power Foods" by Great Circles of Vermont, USA. incl.
     enrichment drinks in chocolate, vanilla, and orange dream and
     food bars.  They can reached at 1-800-872-0611 or on the WWW at
     http://www.recoverypower.com

* Resource and Resource Plus, made by the Nutrition division of
     Sandoz Laboratories (Minneapolis, MN). It is lactose,
     cholesterol, gluten and fat-free and supplies all of the
     necessary vitamins and minerals as well.  Some respondents
     noted a distinct medicinal taste; available in fruit flavors as
     well.

* Sustacal, Sustacal Plus.  Confirmed GF by one member's call to the
     manufacturer and in personal use.

* "Sweet Success" by Nestle is gf.  Each can is supposed to fulfill
     25% of the daily requirements.  Nestle's 800 number is
     1-800-847-8661.

     Nestle Sweet Success is available in the following ready-to-
     drink GF flavors:
       Creamy Milk Chocolate
       Dark Chocolate Fudge
       Creamy Vanilla Delight
       Chocolate Raspberry Truffle
       Rich Chocolate Almond
       Chocolate Mocha Supreme
       Strawberries & Creme
       Chocolate Mint

       Nestle Sweet Success (ready to drink fruit based) GF flavors:
       Orange Peach
       Strawberry Banana
       Mixed Berry
       Orange Pineapple

     The fruit-based Sweet Success drinks might be easier to digest;
     I don't know if they are lactose free, but a call to Nestle
     should confirm.  The wide variety of flavors should allow one
     to pick and choose for taste and the most vitamins, protein,
     and calories.

* Whole Foods market three GF products similar to Ensure:
     1. Super Weight Gain
     2. Gain
     3. Massive Weight Gain.
     Available in most health food stores or direct from Whole Foods
     at (972) 612-6729 or their website,
     http://www.wholefoods.com/wf.html

* One respondent has a website that lists hidden glutens and
     forbidden foods and additives. Go to The Gluten Free Kitchen at
     http://home1.gte.net/lbshri

* GF vitamins by Nature Made are available in Walgreen's, Brooks and
      most chain stores in the Eastern US.

It is worth noting that many nutritional supplements may not be
lactose free, and this can be a problem for many.  Be sure to check
labels for other ingredients that can cause gastric distress or
allergic reactions.

Thanks so very much to each of you for taking the time and effort to
respond to our query.  Now, we're armed with the resources to help
Mom with her needs.  Much appreciated!

Dan Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Eugene, OR
...for Denise, my sister <[log in to unmask]>.  Since Mom was released
from hospital unexpectedly today, we're all a bit swamped and so I'm
answering correspondence for the family.  Thanks again, and best wishes to
all.