From:
Roberto Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roberto Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:24:25 -0700

Thank all of you for your answer.

Before giving a brief answer I want to comment my reasons to believe
that celiac disease may be the cause of hypersensible skin.

Celiac disease is an autoinmune disease. It is a sort of allergy against
gluten, specifically gliadin. However it is not a typical 'food allergy'
such as peanuts or milk allergy. Since is not a lack of IgA that cause
the allergen to protect from attacks. The cause of celiac diseases is
the response of the IgE from a gluten peptid that can not be digested
(mer-33), and it is detected by the body as an external allergen that
may harm it. In other words, we are overprotecting the body and the
cause our problems are from our defense. Interestingly this is the type
of allergies that occur more frequently from the environment allergens
(allergies to dust, to pollens, to cats, to fabrics).

Therefore it is not rare to have skin reactions just from direct gluten
contact to the skin. Also the IgE present in the body is a big factor to
develop hypersensitivity to a allergic reaction. So I was curious if
celiac persons are more likely to have skin allergies than non-celiac
persons.

Summary.
 23 Answers.
 12 have some (minor or major) problems with their skin. Allergies in
general and not exactly gluten ingestion.
 4 answers only related to gluten ingestion (probably DH). But not other
problems.

Symptoms vary in many different ways (eczema, rosacea, rush, etc).

Recommendations: Baby soap and shampoo. Soda instead of deodorants, and
all the hypo-allergenic products in the Market.

Many good tips about laundry (use vinegar in the rise cycle).

 Roberto