From:
Leif O. Thorvaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:43:08 -0800

Thanks for those who replied.  Seems that guggul is not a "hot" herbal
remedy for reducing triglycerides! *G*  I finally got my bloodwork
done and the results were interesting (to me, anyway).  I was sorta
disappointed that the triglycerides didn't go down all that much.
From 491 to 439 (52 points) in a two month period.  My cholesterol,
coincidentally, went up from 184 to 198 (14 points!).   My glucose
dropped from 247 to 193 (54 points!). The last blood test I took was
when I was on one of the statins for about a month. I decided that
guggul was helping and ordered two more bottles of guggul.  In doing
so, I found out that I was taking only one third the recommended dose!
I'll see how I do in another two months on the full dose.  Here are
some of the comments I got back.  Thanks to those who replied.

1.Your message on the Celiac list about triglicerides reminded me that
mine were borderline high a couple of years ago.  My physician offered
no solution.  Then I read that high triglicerides could be caused by a
lack of fat in the diet.  I added  a modest amount of olive oil and
the next time my triglicerides were checked the value was about 130.
My physician probably would have concluded it was the placebo effect,
but I am inclined to think the high level may have been caused by a
low fat diet.

=====>Interestingly enough, the Atkins Diet calls for increase fat and
protein and lower carbs (or types of carbs).  I did not change my
eating habits for this guggul test, in fact, I actually got a little
loose with my protein and fat consumption!

2. My naturopath put me on niacin (a B vitamin) to lower my
cholesterol and get all the lipid numbers in order. . .  . Before the
gf diet, my cholesterol was 163.  Two years into the gf diet, it had
soared to 287. It dropped 54 points in 6 months to 223!  My
triglicerides also dropped and are pretty good, the hdl-ldl ratio is
good but I want to get the cholesterol under 200.   I highly recommend
guggul or niacin rather than drugs.

=====>Niacin is not good for diabetics, so I can't do that.

3. Leif,  I used guggulraj for quite a long time to eliminate pain of
Fibromyalgia.  It worked very well for me.  I do not have experience of
cholesterol and triglycerides though will say my cholestrol was
excellent during that time.

4. How about reducing your sugar and carbohydrate intake?

=====>Don't use sugar alone or many processed foods containing sugar.
Carbs in veggies are obtained from low glycemic ones.

5. You might want to try decreasing the amount of heavy starchy foods
(pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, rice, corn, etc.)and sugar that you
eat. Eating large amounts of these food can cause your triglycerides
to go up. I know it works for me.

=====>Don't eat pasta, seldom, rice, bread (GF only, once a week).
Rest of the time I have a couple of corn tortillas for softshell tacos
at lunch, or tortilla chips with gf soup for dinner.  Rest of the time
with dinners I have low glycemic veggies.

6. Have not tried the product but giving up caffine helped me alot.

=====> Don't have caffeine drinks very often.