From:
"Barfield, Betty" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barfield, Betty
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:32:43 -0600

Below is a reply I received from Royal Caribbean Cruise Line in answer to my request for the recipe they use on their cruise ships for gluten free bread.  They were very kind to give it to me.  This bread was served every night at dinner.  It had been baked in a loaf pan and they served about 4-5 slices.  I thought it was very tasty and had a texture very much like pound cake.  It did not have to be toasted to be very good, especially spread with butter!  Even my non-celiac neighbors liked it.  I have to say that Royal Caribbean went out of their way to accommodate my GF needs at every dinner.  At the buffet, all I had to do was ask if a certain dish was gluten free and the host or hostess there went back into the kitchen to ask the chef.  That way I felt I was eating as safely as I could at lunch.  For breakfast, I took my own GF cereal and they had plenty of fresh fruit and yogurt to add to that if I wanted.  I was pleased with their service.

"Good day, Betty.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your cruise. We look forward to having you sail with us again. Regarding your email below you find a gluten free bread recipe.

1 ¼ cups yellow corn meal
½ cup white rice flour (I would substitute Authentic Foods super fine brown rice flour here for added fiber.  Betty)
¼ cup tapioca flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup skim milk
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and stir together until evenly mixed. Stir in milk, oil, and egg and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into a greased 8 or 9 inch pan (or can use muffin tins if desired). Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Makes about 8-9 servings.

Best Regards,

Kendra Prince
Special Dietary Coordinator
Royal Caribbean International