From:
Jim Ricketts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 14:51:45 EET

     In my opinion, leaving out *all* grains, for uncomplicated celiac
     disease, is not only unnecessary, but incorrect.  We have usually just
     gone through a prolonged period of what amounts to malnutrition, and
     what we need at this time is good nutrition as soon as possible.  The
     best way to achieve this is with the gluten free diet.  In my case B12
     injections were required due to the fact that B12 and folate levels
     were severly depleted and I was suffering various neuropathies.

     "Grains" are the seed of a variety of grasses, such as wheat
     (including spelt), rye, barley and oats - which are all considered
     dangerous for celiacs - as well as rice and millet and corn.

     The term also is applied to non grass grains such as buckwheat.

     There is a degree of debate at a very acedemic level about how much of
     the diet should be made up of starches, but considering the nature of
     celiac disease and the small effects postulated for these alternative
     diets - the standard celiac diet is best for most of us.  Use what
     ever flours you can, and eat a balanced diet within these limits.

     Jim