From:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:50:23 -0500

I received this in response to my inquiry about this brand of gluten free
brownies and biscotti which I read about on this Listserv.  I thought this
was interesting:

Thank you for your interest in Mariposa's products.

We bake our biscotti and brownies in a facility that also
produces cheesecakes. We chose this facility because
there are minimal gluten particles in the air being that
the main offender in cheesecakes is the crumb crust. I'm
certain there is wheat flour in the crumb crust, but to my
knowledge there is no barley or rye flour used in the facility.

To reduce the chance of cross-contamination, we use all
of our own baking equipment and utensils except for a
shared mixer and the ovens.

We have had our products tested by ELISA labs in Florida
and they came back with a gluten level of less than 10
ppm. However, we do not promote this because we aren't
able to test every batch of product. The testing just lets us
know that the products we produce are not going to make
people sick and it lets us determine whether the protocols
we have in place for restricting cross-contamination are
working.

I hope that I've answered your question. As we grow, we
certainly hope to be able to finance building our own facility.
In the meantime, we take every measure possible to reduce
the risk of cross-contamination.

Thank you again for your interest in our products and
best health to you.