From:
Laura Ginsberg Saum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:23:11 EST

I received this response from Slim Fast.  As is often the case, it appears
that we should only use Slim Fast "at our own risk."

Date:   3/13/00 4:51:59 PM Pacific Standard Time
From:   [log in to unmask]
-----
Dear  Ms. Saum:

Thank you for your recent inquiry concerning the presence of gluten in
Slim-Fast products.

As you are aware, having the condition Celiac Sprue prevents you from eating
such grains as wheat, rye, barley and oats.

We do not guarantee that Slim-Fast products are Gluten-Free.  We do not
purchase the ingredients that go into our products, therefore, we cannot
guarantee that they are gluten free.  This is actually because of the fiber
we use.  We cannot guarantee that the fiber is so clean that there will not
be gluten on it.

But, you may wish to try the shakes and see how they affect you.

We hope you are able to continue using the shakes with success.

Sincerely,

Kathi
Consumer Services

Enc.