From:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:41:33 -0400

We recently returned from a trip to Bonaire which is a Diver's Paradise and stayed at the Lion's Dive Resort.  I thought I would share this since it was a very nice place and the chef  "Kirk" was great at the Lion's Den Restaurant, a lovely open aired dining restaurant at the resort.
He fixed some excellent meals for me and assured me that there was no gluten in the foods I chose.
Since we had to travel on three different airplanes, Delta (no food), and two different Air Jamaica, we had called in advance to explain my dietary needs.  We left home at 4 a.m and arrived in Bonaire around 4 p.m.  Air Jamaica served me only fruit as a GF meal.  I did have a few snacks with me but was starved for real food by the time we reached the island.  I've learned my lesson.  It is important to talk again to the airlines a day or two before you are to fly.  Coming home, I called and explained what they could feed me and it was wonderful.  I had a better meal than our family received.  Of course, there was one wheat roll on the tray but not touching anything else.
While in Bonaire, I purchased a box of Crackerbread (really crackers), the only marked gluten free item that I saw in the store. Old World Rye flavor which is made from soy, almond, Hazelnut flour, water, canola oil, xanthan gum, caraway seeds and salt.  I discovered that these come from N.Y. and there is a web site:  WWW.Carbosave.com  (go to procucts, then crackerbread). They have about 9 different flavors. Only one gram of carbs per cracker.

Just thought I'd share this all with you and possibly it will help someone.
Nancy in N.C.