From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 11:35:02 -0400

Rosalie King wrote:

>I just read something from Celiac Sprue Assoc/USA in regards to guar gum;
>it was listed under items to avoid.

This is just another example of the misinformation that CSA/USA
disseminates. Guar Gum is a powder derived from the seed of the plant
Cyamopsis tetragonolobus. It has a high fiber content and is sometimes used
as a laxative, and one should be aware that when used in baking it can
cause distress to some people whose digestive systems are sensitive. But
there is NO gluten in it.

As I have posted before, I would not look to CSA/USA for advice as to what
has and what hasn't gluten. Or at least until they get with it and clean up
their recommendations. Besides the FAQ material of this mailing list, you
have other more with it associations. The one I'd recommend is the Celiac
Disease Foundation. You can find their web site at:

  http://www.celiac.org/

Don.