Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:45:53 -0600

My granddaughter age 5 almost 6 in kindergarten is about to be tested for
AD(H)D.  I strongly suspect she may be a celiac for other familial reasons
as she does not manifest any typical GI symptoms and appears quite healthy
aside from her inability to stay on focus and mild aggressiveness.  Her
parents are in the military so this testing will be done on a base in the
USA in Oklahoma.  I checked the archives and the internet and believe I
understand that the best blood test for celiac at this time is the tTG-IgA
screening test (anti-tissue transglutaminase).  The EMA-IgA (?endomysial
antibody) screening test is very specific for celiac but from what I can
understand not as sensitive as the tTG-IgA.  A third blood test that could
be done is total serum IgA to test for IgA deficiency which I understand
also has its downfalls.  Is my information correct?  Aside from these blood
tests for celiac, are there any other suggestions of blood tests?  I am
thinking a trip to an allergist should be in order too to rule out allergies
to casein, food coloring, additives.  It is going to be hard enough to get
an almost 6 yr old to get blood drawn so while they have her I want a
complete a job as possible.  Thank you for your suggestions and or
corrections.  Warm celiac regards, Dorina near Galveston, TX