From:
Elizabeth Kuzma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:51:26 EDT

hello all,

i was wondering if you could give me your .02 on our situation.  i am a
celiac, and was diagnosed in 94.  my second child, who is going on 13 mos
refuses all types of solids at this point.  when i do manage to get any
solids into him, the amounts are almost non-existent.  over the past few
days, i introduced barley cereal (probably no more than 3 tsps total) and he
has been gassy as well as having some diarrhea.  additionally, he is about to
cut 8 or 9 teeth, and is just getting over a bad cold - either of which i
believe are possible gi disruptors.  i guess i am curious as to what others
have experinced, how quick and severe reactions have been - for those
w/celiac children, and if anyone else has experienced a child who seems to
have some food aversions.  i can't help but wonder if it is his body's way of
telling us something, but am still finding it a bit stressful.  let me also
assure you that i speak w/the pediatrician about this, and she was not
certain that our recent experince was all that conclusive due to the other
things going on.  my son is quite large, and quite nourished and is totally
thriving and happy.  the ped stated she would not be overly concerned unless
it continues past 18 mos or so.  anyway, thanks for any responses :)

elizabeth