From:
Judith Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 16:16:08 -0500

As part of my annual check up, my doctor sent me for a bone density test. I
am under 50 and have recently started to have menopause symptoms.

You can imagine my surprise when the doctor told me I have osteoporosis and
already show a 16 percent loss in bone density!!!

She assures me this is related to menopause and has given me a prescription
for Didrocal, a "bone metabolism regulator" that is supposed to halt the
leaching of calcium from the bones and actually help to rebuild bone. It is
for "bone loss associated with menopause".

Given my age, I have real doubts that I could have lost that much bone so
soon, especially since I've been taking over 1300 mg of calcium and over
650 mg of magnesium daily for the past year since I cut down on dairy
consumption.

I am very, very tempted to believe this problem is related to malabsorption
before I went GF. Anyone think this is a reasonable theory?

In the past year, my B12 and folate levels have increased by a factor of
five, which the doctor says is likely because my bouts of diarrhea have
decreased significantly since I went GF/dairy restricted. Could calcium
have been leached from my system (or at least not adequately absorbed) over
the three years before I discovered I was wheat intolerant? (biopsies were
not considered abnormal, so I have not been officially diagnosed as celiac)

Are there any other people on this list who have osteoporosis? I'd really
like to hear your thoughts.

Also, does anyone know if there is a list server for osteoporosis like this
one for celiac? If so, I'd like to subscribe to it as well.

Many thanks for all comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Judith

Ontario, Canada