Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:54:32 -0400

I am planning on taking a 6 day bike trip in Hawaii (from Hilo to Kona) in
January- As you can imagine, I am a bit concerned about the eating side of my
trip- Although I could certainly schlep a bunch of gf goodies with me, all my
meals are included in the tour price- I know I am being daring but I can't
pass this one by and I would hope that since we order breakfast & dinner off
a regular - it should work out OK. Obviously lunch will be my main concern
and here is where I am hoping for some fellow celiac input. Can anyone offer
any advice in regards to what prodcuts may be found in the area that would be
easy to obtain (the company is very eager to accomodate any special dietary
needs and will be happy to do some extra shopping with my help so that some
special items can be stocked in the van for my needs. I would assumer eggs
for breakfast shouldn't be a problem and for dinner I am sure I will be able
to get something simple and grilled,

Is anyone out there familiar with the areas Hilo & Kona where they may
suggest a place where items can be purchased or even items that can be found
at  a local supermarket. Out of curiosty, are there any yogurts such as
Dannon or other gf brands that can easily be located? What about some type of
rice crackers or tortilla chips. I am sure I will come with supplies gallore
but the less I have to bring the better. Also any other input from others who
have done this type of traveling on a gf diet (with a tour or group) I would
be very appreciatve for your feedback and suggestions. Unfortunately besides
yogurt, I have a difficlt time with yogurt and I am allergic to nuts and
peanut butter which knock out those type of healthy options. I am allergic to
most fruits & good deal of veggies too (and others just blow my tummy up
which would not be ideal on a bike trip)
Oh and any type of nutra grain type of bar that is gf and doesn't contain
nuts or seeds would be great too- easy to pack and good nutrients.
Thanks in advance.
Leslie-Daring in NYC
Please send a PRIVATE E-mail to [log in to unmask]