From:
- Eleis Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:41:22 EDT

I received several requests to summarize, one request by July 3rd so sorry if
this is too late!  However, I did not receive a lot of information.  My
friend works in Rutland, VT one day a week and said that there are a lot of health
food stores there.  Here are the responses:

there is a well known
culinary institute in Montpelier, VT which operates several restaurants in
VT, two of which are in Montpelier.  At least one of them specifically
caters to the GF diet, per the Tourist Info. Center in Montpelier.  I have
heard good things about the culinary institute and I believe a lot of their
alumni have remained in the VT/NY area.  One very nice restaurant featured
in Living Without (Hemingways, near Killington) is run by one of their
alumni, as I recall reading.  Anyway, you could try giving the institute a
call and asking for restaurant references.  It is always a possibility.
Their website is:  <A HREF="http://www.necidining.com/">http://www.necidining.com/</A>
We have eaten at the Sirloin Saloon in Rutland, VT but only once since going
GF.  They feature steaks and a great salad bar and we had a good experience.
Call ahead though, when they are not busy.

The best place so far has
been Pure n' Simple Natural Food Store on East Washington
in Glens Falls.  They have a nice selection of frozen
foods and other dry items.  We just went to Hannaford
yesterday and they did not have much to offer in the way
of gf foods.  We haven't tried Price Chopper yet, but that
will be this weekend.

Four Seasons in Saratoga Springs, a little distance from your location, but
worth the trip.  Enjoy your visit!

The only one I know of is on Washington Ave
just off of Glen street (main drag) in Glens Falls.
In Saratoga is the Four Seasons on Phila street just
off of of Main St (Route 9).  they are accomodating
and for your situation, perhaps ideal in that they
will order their products by the case at a 15%
discount.  Plan to go by and survey their store and
then you can order by phone- usually about three days.
About 20 miles away, south of Schuylerville is the
Saratoga Battlefield Natl Park.  Definitely worth the
trip and in HubbardtownVT is the site of the battle
that insured the victory at Saratoga. About 15 miles
east of Fair Haven.

Hope everyone headed to Lake George has a wonderful vacation!  Hope everyone
has a nice holiday weekend!!

~Eleis in NY